Friday, April 17, 2009

Volunteers make the world go ‘round

I grow everyday from the people who work so hard to lift DiscoverHope Fund. This week I was ultra-inspired to be in the Presence of absolutely amazing volunteers—who indeed frame DHF with positive power to ground and grow. I was reminded of my thoughts on servant leadership and letting people do what inspires them and TRUSTING!

At the beginning of the year, the Board of Directors challenged me to “let go” of some of planning details to other talented folks. Most of you who know me know that I am all about the nitty gritty fine points. I am a “list making” woman through and through. For example, I just came home from a fun evening of bluegrass music at Old Settler’s music fest here in the muddy Austin rain (to personally thank
Great American Taxi who has done two benefit shows for DHF and never before met me). But alas, on this Friday night I have two more things to check off the list, and I will do them before I lay down to watch a movie. Trust me, I don’t always “love” this quality of mine, but it does help organize DHF to some extent and has its positives. Regardless, my challenge as issued by the Board this year has been to ask people to do what they love and to trust them to do it.

This week it really dawned on me how joyful this process of letting go can be. Maybe it’s because I’ve truly noticed that three months of trusting and cultivation of relationships with people who work as volunteers for DHF is blossoming into vision beyond what I imagined. The volunteers around DHF are absolutely powerful, compassionate, and loving people. The implementation of our programs thousands of miles away begins with motivated people who are working to create a web of energy: For example,

The Board Finance committee creating our projections that…
drive the fundraising plan created by the Fundraising Committee that…
is carried out by really zealous volunteers who sit around tables and figure out how to enact the plan that…
intertwines with the Marketing committee and the sense of building brand for DHF that…
is planned and carried out by the Website Team and Branding Team that…
creates messages that interest people who work with our Speaking Engagement Team that…
spread the vision of DHF into the world that…
brings in support for what we do and we are humbled to send forward the abundance.

All accomplished by volunteers. People who give of their time because they want to be part of something. Wherever I look in the folds of this organization, it is flowing with awesome Beings. They teach me so many things. They open my horizons in unspeakable ways. At the beginning and throughout and the end of all these circles within the circle of DHF, I have absolute Gratitude. They give DHF charisma and strength.

It reminds me of a Rumi quote I love, “Be a lamp, lifeboat, or a ladder. Help someone’s soul heal. Walk out of your house like a shepherd.”

I am so thankful for all of these that have come my way.

Be strong, be wonderful, be you, MM

No comments: