Friday, June 19, 2009

Long Division!

I am swimming in amazement and pride. Seriously. I went to visit one of our literacy groups this afternoon and they were working on long division! and writing official documents! (I just recently learned how to do that in Spanish). This group was only forming sentences last year. Truly, they have been working very hard. I definitely give credit to the 5 students that show up twice a week, do their homework and practice their new skills. But, I also give credit to Lily, their literacy teacher, who is amazing. She prepares every class with challenging, yet fun, activities that really engage the students. Our women often joke with Lily, but at the end of the day, she gets her job done. This month our two literacy circles will have completed 3 months of continued literacy classes and our verbal agreement was to test the women at 3 months, evaluate progress and assess commitment level to continue for another 3 months. My guess is that this group is going to want to continue. What a great way to start the weekend.

1 comment:

DanielAjoy said...

Maybe she'll want to supplement her resources with these worksheets.