Thursday, July 23, 2009

Scarves not Strikes

The transportation strike update is good. The strike is over. It ended on Tuesday night (earlier than what the rumors indicated) - which means we have been able to continue with life as normal. That means having a full class yesterday. Here you can see I am modeling the scarf that our class participants learned how to crochet yesterday. It was a popular design that our women seemed to fall in love with right away. Our teacher Carmen suggested selling the scarf for 20 soles(= $7) together with a hat. Our women seemed to think this was a lot of money; but Carmen reminded them a lot of work goes into this model. Plus, it is a unique model to Cajamarca. I tried my hands at the crochet techinque and failed miserably. But, since I now know 17 women that can make the same model for me I can just buy a beautiful scarf from one of them.

Paz ~ Nora

No comments: