Monday, March 28, 2011

Hello DHF Family!

Now that I have been introduced via the Discover Hope blog, I would like to tell you a little about myself. As Des mentioned, I am from Madison, WI – born and raised all my life. I have done extensive traveling to both Europe and Africa, visiting the latter four times over the past four years. My desire to travel to Africa began at a young age when I saw my father living in various African countries for work as a medical doctor.

Some more interesting facts:
-        I have an identical twin sister and a nine-year-old little brother
-        My twin sister is a bilingual highschool guidance counselor near Boston and I am about to graduate with a degree in School Social Work (similar fields!)
-        I've been white water rafting on the Nile
-        I arrived in Zimbabwe in 2009 with just enough money to pay for the entry visa. I didn't even have enough money to pay for the taxi ride to a hotel. I had to borrow money from a friendly business woman to pay for the visa to cross into Zambia to get money from the ATM as Zimbabwe had no money in the ATM's (due to bad economy). If only I had known this BEFORE entering Zimbabwe. I guess it all worked out though!
-        I've been with my boyfriend for 11 years
-        My best friend is eight years my senior and has three kids (I have none)

I’m extremely grateful for having the opportunity to work with Discover Hope Fund and am excited to share my adventures during my three month internship. Every day brings a new experience and opens my eyes to the possibilities that microcredit can offer.

~Rachel

No comments: