Tuesday, February 1, 2011

DiscoverHope honored as Austin Under 40 nonprofit nominee finalist

Dear DiscoverHope Family,

I hope you know that you are all the ROCK of this organization! Today DiscoverHope was honored to be named one of the top 5 finalists for the nonprofit category for the Austin Under 40 awards. As Executive Director for this amazing organization, I am constantly reminded of how we can create anything working together in unified thought. DiscoverHope has literally materialized out of the love, support, and work of all of you…I’m serious about that!

My “life’s work” as the Executive Director of DiscoverHope has given me the gift of accessing the inspiration of great and unique people all over this world. Our Board has been asked in interviews about how you “build a nonprofit in a recession.” The answer for us is that we don’t see anything with limitation, but possibility.

I think back to 2004 and sitting on an old Peruvian plane (with smoking ashtrays) flying high above the Andes Mountains to begin this journey in Peru. Fear was wrenching at my gut. Like then, I still go back to my belief in the power of love over fear probably a thousand times a day. Gently (and sometimes not so gently) forgiving myself with kindness. Always returning to the two choices I have: love or fear—I choose to find the possibility and lessons in all of this Work.

I heard this quote by Howard Thurman in a gathering the other day and wanted to share it with you all as creators of your own life landscapes: “Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive and then go do that. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive.”

2011 is ushering an opportunity for us to create a new covenant in our lives. Here’s what I wrote for my year:


Practice radical Love that inspires, lifts, heals, and transforms people.
Let Love radiate.
Let Compassion be a Gift.
Let Laughter cleanse.
Open to the Divine Dialogue.
Celebrate.

Thank you for being in my Life and lifting DiscoverHope with all that you ARE.
Maggie Miller, Founder/Executive Director

No comments: