Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Taking the Next Step

Last Thursday was a great day for me here at the Hope House. A few weeks back I wrote a blog entry about a loan recipient named Marina from Village Bank Lucecitas (Little Lights). Marina, after sharing a laundry list of excuses explaining her lack of participation in Hope House activities, mustered up the courage to sign up for our final jewelry class of the year. At 3:30 P.M. I anxiously watched the clock wondering if she would show up as promised. Ten minutes passed. Thirty minutes. Forty minutes. Finally, with child in arms, she appeared. Late… yes, but she was here, ready to learn and return home with a pair of earrings and necklace in hand. Since it was her first class, our instructor made a special effort to show Marina how to use the wire cutters and pincers and carefully position the beads. When I asked her how she felt making her first jewelry set, she simply replied: “I feel really good.” I left the office that day with a smile on my face and with a renewed sense of hope that sometimes all it takes are a few words of encouragement to make a difference in a person’s life.
~Desy

No comments: